Find a Cabinet Painter in Grand Coteau, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What variety of paint do you use on cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint usually used for home walls will encounter some challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their modern aesthetic. Common wall paints may not adhere properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs longer drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
How do I pick a cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by knowing precisely what look you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see a sample of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any contractor you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these are also a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Is it necessary to prime or sand cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are thoroughly removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel off and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Grand Coteau, Louisiana, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Grand Coteau, Louisiana to Bring Your Vision to Life
An exceptional way to boost the value of your house and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets is a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will match your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Grand Coteau, Louisiana fluctuates, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be happy to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all the information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Grand Coteau, Louisiana confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.