Find Deck Staining in Gretna, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Which time of the year is recommended for performing a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What prep should be done before staining a deck?
Careful preparation of the deck and the surrounding area must be performed to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be removed, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be washed and sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has low durability, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your home and grounds.
Does deck staining offer more benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option best suits your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are its wider variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep because of flaking and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better defense against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that can help revitalize the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you may suppose by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor to ensure excellent results. The weather in Gretna, LA poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor in Gretna, LA on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its look and providing unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers more versatility in colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it flakes away beneath steady foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. It also doesn't need to be reapplied for two to three years if properly dried.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to a pro who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Gretna, LA and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.