Find Deck Staining in Houma, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the benefits of staining my deck versus painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's essential to assess which option best meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly cured, requires minimal effort to care for, and has other advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering a deep layer of defense against moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for you and your home.
Is the price of professional deck staining justified by any protective benefits?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that can help revitalize the look of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional to ensure excellent results. The weather in Houma, LA poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What steps are followed with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multiphase process that requires careful preparation and application to get the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleaned of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a consistent application during the following step. The environment surrounding the work area, like pathways and buildings, will have to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you understand the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the look you want to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's essential that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable for the drying process.
Each of these steps can be complex and tedious, but attention to detail is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to complete the job quickly while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Is there a certain season that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as excessive moisture can prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Houma, LA on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides more variety of colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it flakes away under frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the process. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring a professional who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Houma, LA and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.