Find Deck Staining in Lafayette, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
How do different factors impact the cost of hiring a professional for deck staining?
Many factors can influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current condition of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors should give an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but this price will increase if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The brand of stain you choose for your project will be included in the final cost, and premium options featuring better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how difficult your deck is to reach or maneuver around might lead to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any extra services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding multiple coats of stain, can also raise the final costs.
When looking for professional deck staining contractors, it's important to obtain multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. Homeowners can discover all the necessary information to make informed decisions and hire the most suitable contractor for deck staining at Thumbtack.
What kind of time frame can I expect when hiring a contractor for deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleansed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a smooth application of the stain. The environment around the work area, such as pathways and structures, will also need to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you select the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable throughout the drying process.
All of these steps can be challenging and time-consuming, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job quickly while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Can the climate play a hand in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What preparations are advised prior to staining a deck?
Careful preparation of your deck and the surrounding spaces must be carried out to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be pushed back, and any pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from certain stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid typically providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If your wood species is known for minimal durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the style of your house and lawn.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Lafayette, LA on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and providing unmatched protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more variety of colors and looks and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the project. Carrying out the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting a professional who can deliver excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Lafayette, LA and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.