Find Deck Staining in New Roads, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the benefits of applying stain to my deck versus painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer different advantages, so it's important to consider which option best meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also demands more maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense from water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is right for your needs.
Can staining my deck deliver any protection from the weather?
Staining a deck offers several benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in New Roads, Louisiana is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Hire a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How long might it take an expert to complete my deck staining project?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to provide a smooth application during the following step. Anything surrounding the work area, like walkways and buildings, will have to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you select the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's essential that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting throughout the drying step.
Each of these steps can be complex and time-consuming, but proper execution is necessary to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
Can the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining any deck is better while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near New Roads, Louisiana on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting has better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away beneath heavy use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from rot and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the process. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in New Roads, Louisiana and choose the right one matching your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.