Find a Cabinet Painter in Port Barre, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a difference between cabinet paint and regular paint?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the type of paint typically used for home walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that modern aesthetic. Common wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors utilize for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
How do I pick the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of consideration. A good place to begin is by knowing exactly what look you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their past work matching your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any painter you consider gives documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to pop up once the project commences that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by checking their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Is the challenging prep step necessary when painting my cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when attempting it alone, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grease are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How much will I have to pay to paint my kitchen cabinets?
There are several things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Port Barre, LA, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Choose a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Port Barre, LA to Bring Your Ideas to Life
A smart way to enhance the appeal of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor around Port Barre, LA varies, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your location, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you opt to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be willing to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all important information needed to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Port Barre, LA confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.