Find a Cabinet Painter in Prairieville, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction between cabinet paint and regular paint?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint usually used for home walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated look. Common wall paints may not stick sufficiently to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires longer time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
How can I pick a painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of effort. The best place to begin is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their previous work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any professional you consider provides written statements of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for any surprises to occur once the project commences that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by assessing any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Should I just paint over my home's cabinets?
It's may be tempting to quickly begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality beginning with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that all dirt or grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it might hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How much will it cost to paint my used cabinets?
There are several factors that play into the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Prairieville, Louisiana, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the price of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Prairieville, Louisiana to Bring Your Vision to Reality
A quick way to enhance the appeal of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Prairieville, Louisiana fluctuates, but some customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the variety of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in good enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to share a history of past projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is complete. Discover all the information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter in Prairieville, Louisiana confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.