Find a Cabinet Painter in Sunset, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there a distinction with cabinet paint and wall paint?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used on walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many challenges when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them their modern look. Common wall paints will not adhere properly to cabinets or begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Is it easy to find a good cabinet painting contractor?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. A good place to focus on is by understanding exactly what style you want to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate widely. Check that any professional you hire provides written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur after the project begins that will raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by assessing their online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I just paint over my present cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and its components, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to any places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be necessary in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
How can I estimate the price for cabinet painting?
There are many factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Sunset, Louisiana, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's advised to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Sunset, Louisiana
An exceptional way to increase the appeal of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable alternative to expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Sunset, Louisiana varies, but many homeowners still report spending less than a third on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets may be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their customer reviews, gallery of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Locate all important information necessary to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Sunset, Louisiana confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.