Find Deck Staining in Westlake, Louisiana
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is best when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
Prior to deck staining, what are the preparatory actions that are taken?
Careful prep of your deck and the surrounding environment must be conducted to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation will need to be removed, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Selecting the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid generally delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species has low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your home and lawn.
Would it be better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's important to analyze which option most suits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the extensive selection of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also demands more upkeep due to peeling and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing a deep layer of protection from water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be best for you and your home.
Why do so many people say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck comes with many benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the look of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Westlake, LA is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the kind of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Westlake, LA on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its look and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can share regarding choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it chips away under constant use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately dried.
Staining your deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by hiring an expert who can guarantee excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Westlake, LA and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.