Find Deck Staining in Andover, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Massachusetts // Andover
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What things should be considered when estimating the price of deck staining by contractors?
Several things will influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but size and the current state of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors should provide an estimate based on the size of the deck, but that price may go up if extensive prep and repairs need to be completed before application.
The brand of stain you select for your project will be included in the final price, and high-end products featuring better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Keep in mind that how hard your deck is to access or maneuver around will lead to higher labor costs from a professional service. Any additional services needed, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding more layers of stain, could also increase the overall cost.
When assessing professional deck staining contractors, it's essential to obtain multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. Homeowners will discover all the necessary information to make informed decisions and hire the most suitable contractor for deck staining at Thumbtack.
How long should it take an expert to complete a deck staining project?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a smooth application of the stain. The environment immediately outside of the work area, like walkways and buildings, will have to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you select the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you want to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to cure. It's essential that the deck is not used and that the weather is suitable for the curing process.
All of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while delivering your desired look and durability.
Which season of the year is suggested for carrying out a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works better while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
What prep will a contractor carry out before diving into deck staining?
Careful preparation of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be carried out to guarantee a good finish. Vegetation should be cut, and nearby walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid generally delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck is known for low durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and lawn.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Andover, Massachusetts on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can offer regarding picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has better versatility in colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It also doesn't need reapplication for a few years if properly dried.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to an expert who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Andover, Massachusetts and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.