Find Deck Staining in Bedford, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Massachusetts // Bedford
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would painting my deck be a smarter choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer unique advantages, so it's important to consider which option best fits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are the wider selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively fast. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is best for your needs.
Can staining a deck give any advantages other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your house and yard. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor to ensure excellent results. The weather in Bedford, Massachusetts poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long will it take a contractor to stain my deck the way I wanted?
Staining a deck is a multistep process that requires careful preparation and application to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application during the following step. The environment immediately outside of the work area, including pathways and structures, will have to be protected with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you understand the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the style you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's essential that the deck is not used and that the weather is suitable for the curing step.
All of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but attention to detail is necessary to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job fast while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Is there a particular time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture can prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Bedford, Massachusetts on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its appearance and delivering long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting offers better variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away beneath frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years if properly dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the process. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting an expert who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Bedford, Massachusetts and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.