Find Deck Staining in Beverly, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Massachusetts // Beverly
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a certain time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve the best results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long curing will take, and it's required that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What prep is needed prior to staining a deck?
Careful preparation of the deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be conducted to guarantee a good result. Vegetation will need to be removed, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be washed and sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Selecting the best stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid generally providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for minimal durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your house and lawn.
Would it be better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's important to analyze which option best fits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its wider variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep because of chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly dried, needs less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense against water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for your needs.
Is staining my deck worth the price if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a range of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the look of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to ensure excellent results. The climate in Beverly, MA poses the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Beverly, MA on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its look and providing long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting offers more versatility in colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away beneath frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years if adequately dried.
Staining a deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the process. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by hiring a professional who can ensure stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Beverly, MA and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.