Find a Cabinet Painter in Billerica, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Massachusetts // Billerica
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I restricted to the kind of paint I can put on my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint generally used for interior walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that modern aesthetic. Common wall paints will not stick properly to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those typically used on walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor do for my job?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the best one for your specifications and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to start is by knowing exactly what look you want to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Professional contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget worked out when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Check that any professional you consider gives written statements of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project has started that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by evaluating their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients for view online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Can I paint my cabinets without sanding?
It's always enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt and grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also penetrate to any edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only flake off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
Will it be expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Billerica, Massachusetts, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters might bill you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painter Near Billerica, Massachusetts Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to enhance the value of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective option over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Billerica, Massachusetts varies, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While hunting for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of past work, and ask questions about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to show you a history of executing projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Billerica, Massachusetts confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.