Find a Cabinet Painter in Brighton, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Massachusetts // Brighton
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which variety of paint is used on cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them their sophisticated appearance. Typical wall paints might not stick properly to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The type of paint professionals utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
How can I pick the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to find the perfect one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to begin is by knowing exactly what aesthetic you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view samples of their previous work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs sometimes fluctuate largely. Make sure that any professional you hire gives documentation of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. The last thing you want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project commences that can raise costs above what you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by evaluating any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Do I have to prime cabinets cabinets prior to painting?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it on your own, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grime are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to disassemble the cabinets and their gear, like doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products today which professionals use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, as it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
Will it be expensive to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Brighton, Massachusetts, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's advised to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors might charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The painter must recoup the cost of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor in Brighton, Massachusetts to Bring Your Vision to Reality
A smart way to enhance the value of your property and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and deliver an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Brighton, Massachusetts varies, but many homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then inquire several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you decide to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets could be in fair enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While looking for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you know exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Brighton, Massachusetts confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.