Find Deck Staining in Cambridge, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Massachusetts // Cambridge
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the weather ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
What prep is required prior to staining a deck?
Detailed preparation of the deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be carried out to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be removed, and nearby pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck may need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the right stain for any deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid usually providing the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the look of your house and yard.
Will deck staining offer less benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's important to analyze which option most fits your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also requires more upkeep due to flaking and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain will not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other benefits, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better defense against water, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for you and your home.
Will staining my deck give any benefits other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck offers many benefits, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a range of hues and opacities that can help revitalize the style of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you may suppose by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Cambridge, MA is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Cambridge, MA on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for refreshing its appearance and providing long-lasting protection from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it peels away beneath frequent foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting a professional who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Cambridge, MA and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.