Find Deck Staining in Hanover, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would painting my deck be a better option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's important to analyze which option most fits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance because of flaking and fading relatively soon. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which option is best for you and your home.
Can staining a deck deliver any advantages other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck provides many advantages, such as enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a range of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Hanover, MA is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are followed during professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multistep project that requires careful preparation and execution to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to enable a consistent application during the following step. Anything surrounding the work area, like pathways and buildings, will have to be protected by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you select the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the look you want to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's important that the deck is not touched and that the weather is fitting for the curing step.
Each of these steps are challenging and tedious, but performing them correctly is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while achieving your desired look and durability.
Can the weather play a hand in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot or cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with specifications on how long curing should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional in Hanover, MA on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting protection from the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a contractor is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that contractors can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more versatility in colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it peels away under heavy foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Hanover, MA and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.