Find a Cabinet Painter in Ludlow, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Does it matter what type of paint I choose for my cabinets?
An often asked question pertains to the type of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that elegant appearance. Common wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
How do I pick a cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the perfect one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to focus on is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view a sample of their past work aligning with your vision beforehand to gain a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any professional you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that will raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the professional's dependability by checking their online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from previous clients for view online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I just paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but an expert will quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that any dirt or grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it might affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also referred to as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those edges that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as allowing for better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
How much will I have to pay to paint my current cabinets?
There are several factors that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. In Ludlow, MA, you could pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters might bill you based on square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project finished.
You'll need to talk about your home's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Hire a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Ludlow, MA to Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to boost the value of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a cost-effective choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and provide a new look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Ludlow, MA varies, but some homeowners still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets could be in decent enough condition to easily paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to show you their history of past projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Locate all the information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Ludlow, MA easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.