Find Deck Staining in Northampton, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a certain time of year that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll get better results when performing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works better when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity will extend drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains will have specifications on how long curing should take, and it's required that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What prep will a contractor undertake before jumping into deck staining?
Detailed preparation of the deck and the surrounding environment must be conducted to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and any pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the right stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid usually delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species is known for minimal durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the look of your home and grounds.
Will deck staining offer more benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting have unique benefits, so it's essential to analyze which option most meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering better protection from moisture, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining or painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for your needs.
Is the cost of professional deck staining offset by any real benefits?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, such as enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of hues and opacities that will help reinvigorate the look of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The climate in Northampton, MA poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the type of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include stopping bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more from your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Northampton, MA on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its appearance and delivering unmatched protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to make sure it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers more variety of colors and looks and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining your deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can promise stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Northampton, MA and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.