Find a Cabinet Painter in Westport, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Which variety of paint is used for cabinets?
A commonly asked question pertains to the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint generally used for home walls will encounter some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sleek look. Typical wall paints will not stick sufficiently to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
How will I know I've found the right cabinet painter?
Comparing cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of effort. A good place to focus on is by understanding precisely what look you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their past work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget worked out while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any contractor you consider gives documentation of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's timeline. What you don't need is for any surprises to occur once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by checking any online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these are also a great way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and within budget.
Should I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always enticing to quickly begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but a professional can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life beginning with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are completely cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its components, such as drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great advancements, and there are products that professionals use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also reach those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as enabling better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
How do I estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are many things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Westport, Massachusetts, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first seek out quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor must recoup the cost of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints utilized with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your home's specific cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one contractor to find the best price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter Near Westport, Massachusetts
An exceptional way to increase the value of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will suit your current style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor in Westport, Massachusetts fluctuates, but some homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects like the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you decide to let a contractor paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets might be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with an updated look that you'll love.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be happy to share their history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Find all the information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Westport, Massachusetts confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.