Find Deck Staining in Wrentham, Massachusetts
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Massachusetts // Wrentham
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would it be better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's important to analyze which option most meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance due to peeling and fading relatively fast. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, offering better protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for your needs.
Why do so many homeowners say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the look of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional to deliver excellent results. The climate in Wrentham, MA is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. A few other advantages of deck staining include keeping out insects and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How much time should I anticipate a professional to take when deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and execution to obtain the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. The environment around the work area, like walkways and buildings, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you understand the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's important that the deck is not touched and that the weather is suitable during the drying process.
All of these steps can be complex and time-consuming, but proper execution is necessary to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired look and durability.
Is there a certain time of year that's best for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is best when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or cold temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional in Wrentham, MA on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its look and providing unmatched durability against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting gives more variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away under heavy use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years if properly dried.
Staining any deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the project. Carrying out the task at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting a pro who can deliver excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Wrentham, MA and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.