Find a pro in Cambridge, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
Which roof style is the most affordable?
Asphalt shingles are going to be the most cost-effective solution for your new roof, and just because they are the cheaper option, it doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. Truthfully, you’ll see most residential properties in your neighborhood with asphalt shingling on the roof because they are reliable and serve the purpose of creating that defensive barrier your home needs while being more budget friendly. Also, they’re versatile and they’ll look great on any house.
It is worth noting that asphalt shingles have the tendency to be replaced more often than the more expensive products. They normally have a 15-20 year lifespan. But you can always buy higher-grade asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
Replacing your roof needs to be an option when fixing up sections won't hold up. A roof replacement is necessary if you’re dealing with these types of issues:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the possibility of having it be replaced becomes greater. Asphalt shingles are quite common on residential spaces and these typically have a lifespan of 15-20 years. If your roof has aged this much, it’s a good idea to get consistent inspections in order to determine when a roof replacement is necessary.
- SAGGING: Sagging is a sign that the plywood decking is rotted. Sagging is not ideal, and this indicates you need roof replacement services.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof protects your entire home, so there should be no shock that the materials used for your roof will deteriorate over time.
What time of year is best to replace a roof?
It's possible to get your roof replaced during any season, fall is the most common time of year for a roof replacement. Since it is a good time for a replacement, it can be a challenge to book time with a professional. This is why waiting later in the year could be a better time for an appointment.
A lot of professionals who specialize in roofing are slow during the winter, but you could have more delays because of severe weather conditions. And summer is similar to winter, but rather than wet and cold conditions, you’d be dealing with high heat.
Spring is also not a terrible time for roof replacements. Even though there's a chance it can still be wet and slightly unpredictable, it’s beginning to warm up, and any roofing damage you’ve gotten during the winter will be repaired.
Why is a good roof important?
The reason you want a good roof is because it protects your home, increases your home's value, and makes your energy efficiency better.
The roof is the barrier that offers protection for your entire house. It defends against severe weather, falling objects, and more. This means if your roof is in poor condition, your home could develop some leaks, and this can lead to other issues.
Your roof also contributes to your curb appeal. Since it’s such a fundamental part of your home, a well-maintained roof shows a reliable property. If you were to sell, a buyer would be thrilled about your home if it has a solid, durable roof protecting it.
Finally, everyone is happy with an energy efficient house. It means your energy bills are lower and that your home maintains a consistent temperature.
Roofing Repair & Roofing Replacement Contractors near Cambridge, Maryland
Thumbtack is the perfect home management site that helps you hire roofing repair and roofing replacement contractors in Cambridge, Maryland. See what experiences other people have had, talk directly with the roofing maintenance contractor want to hire, schedule a service appointment, and pay all from one convenient app.
Every homeowner understands that maintenance is always required to keep their property in good condition. It’s best to keep on top of repairs in order to prevent the steep price of replacing a roof prematurely.
Do you need roofing repair and roofing replacement services? Aside from leakage or other obvious issues, there are a few things that might determine whether a roof repair is a smart decision.
- Age: Your roof has a lifespan of about 20-25 years, so if you think your roof has been around for longer, it might be time to contact a roofer to come take a look at it.
- Warps or Buckling: The sheets of wood that make your roof can end up warping or are bending over time.
- Built-Up Granules in Gutters: A build up of granules from shingles collect in your gutters, and degrading shingles are not a promising sign. A roofing maintenance contractor will clean your gutters while checking up on your shingles.
- Damaged flashing: Flashing is the material used to seal joints and stop water. A roofer can fix damaged, loose, or missing flashing to prevent leaks.
- Shingles: Having your shingles inspected will let you know if they need to be replaced. If you see that a few of them are discolored, replacing those is a smart idea so that your roof doesn't sustain more extensive damages.
Hire a contractor who can make your roofing repair and roofing replacement a streamlined process. When you’ve found the contractor you want, then it's just requesting a quote and booking an appointment to get your roof in order.