Find Deck Staining in Crisfield, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the climate play a hand in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is best when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and cold temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture will extend drying times and increase the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What prep has to be performed before staining a deck?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding area must be performed to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Picking the best stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from particular stains that will give your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid generally delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for minimal durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to accentuate or stand out from the look of your house and yard.
What are the advantages of staining a deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting have unique advantages, so it's important to analyze which option best suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance because of chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly cured, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better defense against water, the sun, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that boost durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for you and your home.
Is the expense of professional deck staining justified by any real benefits?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, including enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you may suppose when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can ensure excellent results. The weather in Crisfield, Maryland poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Crisfield, Maryland on Thumbtack and Obtain the Aesthetic and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly recommended if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or the time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share regarding picking the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more versatility in colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away under heavy use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments that block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining a deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by hiring a professional who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Crisfield, Maryland and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.