Find Deck Staining in Edgewater, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the primary determinants of the cost for professional deck staining?
Several things will affect the cost of professional deck staining services, but size and the current condition of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors should give an estimate based on the size of the deck, but the price can go up if extensive prep or repairs need to be completed before application.
The kind of stain you pick for the project will be calculated into the final cost, and high-end products featuring better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Also remember that how difficult your deck is to access or work around could contribute to higher labor costs from a professional service. Any extra services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding more coats of stain, may also increase your overall cost.
When considering professional deck staining services, it's important to obtain multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. Homeowners will find all this information to make informed decisions and get the most suitable contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
How long will it take an expert to complete a deck staining job?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application during the next step. The environment immediately outside of the work area, including walkways and buildings, will have to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you understand the best type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. The contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's critical that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting for the drying step.
All of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but attention to detail is vital to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving the desired look and durability.
What is the best weather for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance task and you'll achieve better results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck works better when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What prep will a contractor perform before jumping into deck staining?
Detailed prepping of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be performed to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck might need to be washed or sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Picking the best stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from particular stains that will give your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from translucent to solid, with solid typically providing the most protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species is known for low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and grounds.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Edgewater, Maryland on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and providing long-lasting durability from the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A dependable contractor will handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting provides better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away beneath heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining any deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration for every step of the process. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring an expert who can guarantee excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Edgewater, Maryland and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack app.