Find Deck Staining in Edgewood, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What part of the year is suggested for carrying out a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works better while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm or cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as too much humidity can prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any possible showers.
What preparations will a contractor perform before jumping into deck staining?
Careful prep of the deck and the surrounding area must be conducted to guarantee a good result. Vegetation will need to be pushed back, and any walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow good penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the best stain for any deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid typically providing the most defense from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck is known for low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the style of your home and yard.
Is there a significant difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer their own advantages, so it's essential to analyze which option most suits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are the wider selection of colors and enhanced surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive upkeep due to peeling and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly cured, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of defense against moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Some stains have additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be best for you and your home.
Is the expense of professional deck staining offset by any tangible benefits?
Staining a deck brings many advantages, including enhancing its look, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a range of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might think when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Edgewood, MD is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include keeping out pests and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Edgewood, MD on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its look and providing long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains demands careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to secure the wood from water, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting gives more versatility in colors and looks and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it flakes away under constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deep into the wood and has pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining your deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can ensure excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Edgewood, MD and choose the best one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.