Find a Cabinet Refinisher in Frederick, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET REFINISHING
When should I consider refinishing my cabinets as opposed to buying them new?
Cabinet refinishing is almost always less expensive than buying new models and is a wise investment in many scenarios, including when:
- Existing Cabinets Are in Decent Condition: If your cabinets are damaged or significantly warped, it might be more beneficial to consider replacement.
- Living "Green" Is a Priority: If environmental sustainability is one of your biggest values, you may want to think about cabinet refinishing as a better practice to reduce waste by upcycling your existing cabinetry.
- You Want To Achieve a Unique Look: Refinishing can be done in a wide range of colors and finishes to achieve a vision that is wholly unique and matches your sense of style.
- Trying To Achieve a Better Return on Investment: If you're planning to sell your home, cabinet refinishing is a relatively affordable project to enhance your property's appeal to try and maximize ROI.
- You Are Satisfied With the Existing Layout and Operability: You're existing cabinets could already fit in well with your kitchen's layout and provide ideal functionality.
- Minimal Disruption is Necessary: Cabinet refinishing involves less disruption to your daily life compared to a full cabinet replacement.
Residents of Frederick, MD have detailed spending as much as 70% less when refinishing their cabinets compared to replacing them. Prior to choosing cabinet refinishing, weigh your specific needs, budget, and the current state of your cabinets to know if this project is best for you.
What certifications or licenses will a cabinet refinishing contractor typically have?
While there aren't industry-mandated certifications specifically for cabinet refinishing professionals, there are some qualifications and indicators of expertise that you can refer to when vetting someone to refinish your cabinets. Most professional contractors will showcase their background in carpentry, woodworking, or a relevant skill on their Thumbtack profile.
You will want to ask the contractor you are thinking about hiring for a portfolio with pictures of cabinets they have refinished for previous clients, especially featuring finished projects that are similar to the style you're trying to accomplish. Besides a portfolio, most professional contractors can highlight their experience and reliability through online customer reviews.
A reputable expert should provide a clear written estimate of the job before it commences, listing the scope of services, materials, and all associated costs. Contractors should have good communication skills and a readiness to answer all of your questions and concerns regarding cost, time, and craftsmanship during the refinishing project. You should also ask about any warranties or guarantees with the service, which is another indication that can demonstrate they have faith in the quality of their craftsmanship.
How is cabinet refinishing performed?
A professional working on your cabinet refinishing project will follow an established process for efficiency and proven results. There are usually many steps taken to transform the look of existing cabinets, including:
- Evaluation and Prepping: Cabinets should be first assessed to make sure they are in proper condition for refinishing. If so, all gear will be taken off, like handles, knobs, and hinges, and all cabinet surfaces will be cleaned of dirt, grease, or other residue.
- Repair and Fill: Some small damage, such as cracks, dings, and other blemishes in the wood can be repaired or filled before being blended in when staining or painting.
- Painting or Staining: Whatever you choose for paint, stain, or finishing method will be applied in thin, even coats to get the look you're looking for. The drying and curing stage is crucial to giving a professional outcome, and may need a few hours to complete.
- Reassembly: After your paint or stain completely cures, all hardware can be put back on and cabinets fully reassembled for use. Performing a quality inspection will make sure the finished results meets your expectations, which includes a last cleanup of the full work area.
It's important to note that every refinishing project will vary based on aspects like the model of cabinets and the desired finish. Additionally, professionals may employ detailed techniques, such as distressing or glazing, to accomplish specific stylistic effects, which could require a longer process with more steps. Be sure to speak directly with any contractor you hire to ensure they have the skill to bring your vision to reality.
What are the perks to refinished cabinets?
Cabinet refinishing is an especially advantageous home improvement project that plenty of people find worth the effort. Refinishing cabinets instead of buying new ones is a smart practice to limit your impact on the environment by giving used furniture a longer lifespan rather than contribute to landfills. The process of manufacturing new cabinets also requires more wood and releases toxins into the atmosphere, both of which are significantly diminished when people choose to upcycle existing furniture rather than replace it. A few other great perks of picking cabinet refinishing include:
- Cost-Effectiveness: Purchasing and hanging new kitchen cabinets can be very costly, but refinishing current cabinets will allow you to update their look relatively affordably.
- Refresh the Look of Your Kitchen: Cabinet refinishing has the power to drastically change the aesthetic of your kitchen through relatively little work or money.
- Minimal Disruption To Your Home: Cabinet refinishing is considered a relatively fast and stress-free project to change their style versus installing new ones. Because you're repurposing existing cabinets that have already been hung, you'll avoid the trouble of having new cabinets built from scratch and the demolition and reconstruction of your kitchen walls and layout to ensure they fit.
- Professional Results: You'll get professional outcomes when you allow an experienced contractor to take care of your cabinet refinishing project. The proper technique and experience is critical to make sure your cabinets come out as you planned, including following the proper steps of prepping the surfaces and allowing the paint or stain to dry before reassembly.
One Platform Containing All The Information You Need To Hire The Right Cabinet Refinisher Near Frederick, MD Confidently
Cabinet refinishing is a great way to beautify the aesthetic of your space by updating the appearance of existing cabinets without the need for a total replacement. Experienced cabinet refinishers sand and apply your choice of finishes, such as paint, stain, or other techniques to your existing cabinets to give a new look that fits your sense of style and design preferences.
The cost-effectiveness of cabinet refinishing is one of its primary perks, and several people in Frederick, MD have reported spending as much as 70% less than they would on having new cabinets built and hung. Attaining a fresh and modern look for your used cabinets for less money will give you a bigger return on your investment, increasing the value of your house simultaneously.
Environmental considerations also play a role in why more people are choosing to refinish used cabinets rather than buy and install new models. Refinishing is a green option that aligns with eco-conscious practices in home improvement by minimizing harmful waste and lessening demand for cutting more trees.
Another great benefit of cabinet refinishing is that the service will be many times less disruptive to your home than the mess generated to install new ones. Whether purchasing stock or custom-built new cabinets, the space where they're hung will likely need to undergo some degree of demolition and reconstruction before they fit properly. The result is much more dust and could take weeks or months to get your kitchen ready for use again, whereas an efficient refinishing job is less messy and the better alternative for those on a tight schedule.
When selecting an expert for your cabinet refinishing job, gain insights into their experience and reliability through galleries of past work, if they offer any guarantees on their workmanship, online customer reviews, and how well they communicate with you about time and budget. All of this valuable information and more can be found on the simple-to-use Thumbtack site so you can hire a cabinet refinishing contractor in Frederick, MD confidently.