Find a Cabinet Painter in Gambrills, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Maryland // Gambrills
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What variety of paint do you use on cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that elegant look. Common wall paints may not stick sufficiently to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint professionals choose for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those usually used on walls.
What qualities do I look for from a professional cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the perfect one for your needs and style takes a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by understanding exactly what style you're trying to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their past work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Reliable contractors will be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any professional you consider gives written statements of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous customers for view online, and these can be an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I just paint over my home's cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately start painting and get your kitchen remodeling project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping phase of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their hardware, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great leaps, and there are products that professionals use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to those edges that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only flake away and require repainting sooner than you'd like.
What is the typical price of an experienced cabinet painting contractor?
There are several factors that affect the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Gambrills, MD, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, so it's recommended to first obtain quotes from multiple professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to gain an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Complexity or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: The painter will need to recoup the price of materials unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used with cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job performed.
You'll need to discuss your home's particular cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Hire a Cabinet Painter Near Gambrills, MD Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to boost the value of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your evolving tastes.
The price of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Gambrills, MD fluctuates, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets may be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When searching for the right cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to show you their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the job is finished. Locate all important information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Gambrills, MD confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.