Find a Cabinet Painter in Garrett Park, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Maryland // Garrett Park
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
What variety of paint do you use with cabinets?
A frequently asked question pertains to the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are distinctions due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for interior walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that sophisticated look. Common wall paints may not adhere sufficiently to cabinets and can begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The type of paint contractors utilize for cabinets has adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires extended drying and curing times than those typically applied to walls.
How do I determine if I've picked the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the perfect one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. The first place to focus on is by knowing exactly what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see samples of their prior work aligning with what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many keep a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate largely. Make sure that any professional you hire gives written statements of all material and labor costs and gives clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. What you don't want is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by checking their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from previous customers available online, and these can be an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Could I get away with painting my cabinets without sanding?
It's may be enticing to quickly begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt or grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to take apart the cabinets and its gear, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following stages easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives will also penetrate to any places that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, and it serves a vital purpose for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel off and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How can you estimate the cost of cabinet painting?
There are many things that affect the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. Around Garrett Park, Maryland, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Size or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon cost of paints used in cabinet painting range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with a gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the project completed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one contractor to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Refresh Your Kitchen for Less With an Experienced Cabinet Painter in Garrett Park, Maryland
A smart way to increase the value of your property and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting a professional cabinet painter. Painting your cabinets can be a cost-effective alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and give them an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painting contractor near Garrett Park, Maryland varies, but some homeowners have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you choose to let a contractor paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your existing cabinets may be in fair enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the best cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of previous work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable contractor will be willing to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know exactly what to expect when the project is complete. Discover all important information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Garrett Park, Maryland easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.