Find Deck Staining in Garrett Park, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the primary factors of the price for professional deck staining?
Many things will affect the cost of professional deck staining services, but size and the current condition of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors should give an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but that price will increase if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The type of stain you choose for your deck will be included in the final cost, and premium products featuring better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Also remember that how difficult your deck is to access or maneuver around will result in higher labor costs from a professional service. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding more layers of stain, can also increase the final costs.
When considering professional deck staining services, it's essential to obtain multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. You will discover all this information to make informed decisions and hire the most suitable contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
What kind of time frame should I anticipate from professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and application to achieve the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleansed of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired of any damage to facilitate a consistent application of the stain. Anything around the work area, including pathways and buildings, will have to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you pick the best type of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the aesthetic you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these devices to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's essential that the deck is not used and that the weather is fitting during the drying step.
Each of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but attention to detail is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A vetted deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while delivering your desired appearance and durability.
Does the weather play a hand in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining a deck works best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot or colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains come with directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
What preparations will a professional perform before jumping into deck staining?
Detailed prep of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be performed to ensure a good result. Vegetation should be pushed back, and nearby pathways or other structures should be protected to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed or sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Selecting the best stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will offer your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from transparent to solid, with solid typically delivering superior defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for low strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its hue and opacity to complement or stand out from the appearance of your house and yard.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor in Garrett Park, MD on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its appearance and delivering long-lasting durability against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share when it comes to picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers more variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away beneath constant use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for two to three years so long as it's been properly cured.
Staining a deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration at every step of the project. Performing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by enlisting a pro who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Garrett Park, MD and choose the best one matching your vision and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack app.