Find Deck Staining in Glen Burnie, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the climate play a hand in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is better while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours prior to any chance of showers.
What preparations will a professional perform before jumping into deck staining?
Careful preparation of your deck and the surrounding area needs to be carried out to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants should be removed, and any walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to facilitate good penetration and sticking.
Picking the right stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from particular stains that will provide your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid generally providing superior defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the look of your house and grounds.
Does deck staining offer less benefits than painting?
Deck staining and painting offer their own benefits, so it's important to analyze which option best meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are its extensive variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep because of chipping and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly cured, requires minimal effort to maintain, and has other benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing better defense from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for your needs.
Why do I hear so many people say deck staining is a good investment?
Staining a deck comes with many benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of hues and opacities that can help revitalize the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Glen Burnie, Maryland is the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional Near Glen Burnie, Maryland on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for refreshing its look and providing long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it turns out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
Many people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better versatility in colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it chips away under frequent foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that secure it from mold and insect damage. It also doesn't need to be reapplied for two to three years if properly cured.
Staining a deck requires attention to detail and thoughtful consideration at every step of the process. Executing the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting a professional who can promise excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Glen Burnie, Maryland and choose the best one matching your vision and budget all in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.