Find Deck Staining in Knoxville, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would it be better to stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have unique advantages, so it's essential to consider which option best suits your needs when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs extensive upkeep due to peeling and fading relatively fast. On the other hand, stain does not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to care for, and has other advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better protection from water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for your needs.
Does staining my deck deliver any advantages other than aesthetics?
Staining a deck offers several advantages, such as enhancing its style, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that will help revitalize the style of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to deliver excellent results. The climate in Knoxville, Maryland is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how durable the type of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by extending its lifespan.
What steps are involved with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multipart project that needs careful preparation and execution to obtain the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application during the next step. The environment immediately outside of the work area, including walkways and buildings, will have to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you choose the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - The contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to cure. It's crucial that the deck is not touched and that the weather is suitable during the curing process.
Each of these steps are challenging and time-consuming, but performing them correctly is necessary to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to finish the job quickly while delivering the desired appearance and durability.
Is there a particular time of year that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to a deck is better when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much moisture will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long curing will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Knoxville, Maryland on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its appearance and providing unmatched durability against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it turns out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the advice that experts can share regarding choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting gives better versatility in colors and styles and is good for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint many times over the years as it chips away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block harmful UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mold and insect damage. It will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by hiring a professional who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Knoxville, Maryland and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.