Find Deck Staining in Lanham, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Maryland // Lanham
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What factors most impact the cost of expert deck staining services?
Many things will influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current condition of the deck will have the biggest impact. Contractors will give an initial quote based on the size of the deck, but that price can go up if extensive prep and repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The type of stain you choose for your deck will be included in the final price, and premium products featuring better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Keep in mind that how hard your deck is to access or work around will lead to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any extra services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying multiple layers of stain, may also increase the overall cost.
When assessing professional deck staining services, it's essential to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about scheduling. Residents of Lanham, Maryland will discover all the necessary information to make informed decisions and get the best contractor for the job on Thumbtack.
How long could it take a contractor to stain my deck the way I wanted?
Staining a deck is a multistep project that requires careful preparation and execution to achieve the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be cleaned of dust and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks properly. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application of the stain. The environment immediately outside of the work area, such as pathways and structures, will have to be covered with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you choose the best kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to cure. It's crucial that the deck is not touched and that the weather is fitting during the drying process.
Each of these steps are complex and tedious, but attention to detail is necessary to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to finish the job quickly while achieving your desired look and durability.
Is there a specific season that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck is better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm or colder temperatures will negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
What prep should be done before staining my deck?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be conducted to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be cut, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be washed and sanded to facilitate good penetration and adhesion.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid usually delivering the most protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opacity to complement or stand out from the look of your home and lawn.
Hire a Deck Staining Professional Near Lanham, Maryland on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is worthwhile for revitalizing its look and delivering unmatched protection against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor will handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries appropriately to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can share when it comes to selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers more variety of colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it chips away beneath frequent use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain also won't need to be reapplied for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining your deck demands attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by enlisting a pro who can ensure excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Lanham, Maryland and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.