Find Deck Staining in Montgomery Village, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What things are factored in when estimating the cost of deck staining by contractors?
Several things can influence the cost of professional deck staining services, but size and the current state of the deck will have the largest impact. Contractors should provide an estimate based on the size of the deck, but the price can increase if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The brand of stain you pick for your project will be calculated into the final price, and premium products with better UV protection and water resistance can be more expensive. Keep in mind that how difficult your deck is to access or maneuver around could lead to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying more coats of stain, can also raise the final cost.
When assessing professional deck staining services, it's important to obtain multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about scheduling. Residents of Montgomery Village, MD can discover all the necessary information to make informed decisions and get the best contractor for deck staining on Thumbtack.
What steps are followed with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleaned of dirt and debris using wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain sticks well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application during the next step. Anything immediately outside of the work area, such as walkways and buildings, will have to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you select the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the type of stain you've selected and how long it takes to dry. It's crucial that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is suitable for the drying process.
Each of these steps can be complex and time-consuming, but attention to detail is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
Will the climate play a role in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get better results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining any deck works best while the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and colder temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred while deck staining, as too much moisture can extend drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long drying should take, and it's required that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Before deck staining, what are the preparatory actions that are taken?
Detailed prepping of your deck and the surrounding area must be carried out to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be cut, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck might need to be cleaned or sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Selecting the right stain for your deck is an important step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including aspects such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will give your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid generally delivering superior protection from water and UV rays. If the wood used on your deck has low strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its hue and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your home and yard.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Montgomery Village, MD on Thumbtack and Get the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for refreshing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack experience performing deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You can also benefit from the advice that contractors can offer regarding picking the right stain for the type of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. While stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, many hues and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers more variety of colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it chips away beneath frequent foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for two to three years if properly dried.
Staining any deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Carrying out the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting an expert who can ensure excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Montgomery Village, MD and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.