Find a Cabinet Painter in New Windsor, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Maryland // New Windsor
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Am I restricted by the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used for walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the type of paint typically used for home walls will encounter many challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them their sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not stick sufficiently to cabinets or begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also requires longer drying and curing times than those usually applied to walls.
Will any cabinet painting contractor suffice for my job?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to discover the best one for your needs and style requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to focus on is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work similar to your vision beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors would be more than happy to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind while choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate significantly. Ensure that any painter you consider provides documentation of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for any surprises to pop up once the project begins that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Pay close attention to the professional's reputation by assessing their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Is the challenging prep phase a necessity before painting all cabinets?
It's always tempting to immediately begin dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly turn into an overwhelming project when doing it on your own, but an expert can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grease are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning step is also the right time to take apart the cabinets and their hardware, including doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the following steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products that contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy process of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to any edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in most cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as allowing for better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
Is it costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are several things that play into the price of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In New Windsor, Maryland, you will pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, painters could bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: Your painter must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for designer brands with one gallon typically being plenty for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to talk about your home's unique cabinets and layout and your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Find a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near New Windsor, Maryland to Bring Your Ideas to Life
A smart way to boost the appeal of your home and update the appearance of your kitchen at the same time is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also results in less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and deliver a new look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around New Windsor, Maryland varies, but many homeowners have reported spending as much as three times less on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Other than the fluctuation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will determine how much you pay in the end. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painters to discover an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also benefits for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing methods with wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your current cabinets might be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable painter will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Locate all the information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near New Windsor, Maryland confidently with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.