Find a Cabinet Painter in Nottingham, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Maryland // Nottingham
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Is there any distinction with cabinet paint and regular paint?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will face some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have smooth surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their sleek appearance. Typical wall paints may not stick adequately to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those typically applied to walls.
Which features do I expect from a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to find the most suitable one for your specifications and style takes a substantial amount of work. The first place to begin is by knowing exactly what style you want to achieve with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their prior work matching what you're looking for beforehand to gain a sense of their experience and ability. Trustworthy contractors would be pleased to grant this request, and many retain a portfolio for potential customers to browse through on their website.
You should have a defined budget in mind when shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as costs often fluctuate significantly. Check that any contractor you hire gives documentation of all material and labor expenses and gives clear verbal communication throughout the process about it's expected completion. The last thing you need is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project has started that can raise costs higher than you planned for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by checking any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have feedback and reviews from past customers for view online, and these are also an efficient way to judge their ability to deliver the services you expect on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be tempting to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project moving forward, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly become an overwhelming project when doing it alone, but an expert can quickly and effectively bring your vision to life starting with the most common prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's very important that any dirt or grime are fully removed from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products today which contractors use to make one of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint is oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
What things are considered when it comes to the cost for painting cabinets?
There are many things that play into the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and complexity of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Nottingham, Maryland, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first seek out quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the complexity of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may charge you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your painter will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for the average kitchen.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what season of the year or how fast you want the job finished.
You'll need to talk about your kitchen's specific cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Home for Less With a Reliable Cabinet Painter Near Nottingham, Maryland
A quick way to boost the value of your home and update the look of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring a professional cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Many types of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of heavy use and provide an updated look that will suit your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter in Nottingham, Maryland varies, but some customers still report spending as much as three times less on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the variation in labor rates charged by contractors in your location, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the complexity of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will determine how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the environment when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process with wood and metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and raises demand for new materials. Your current cabinets might be in decent enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When looking for the right cabinet painting contractor matching your budget and specifications, you should analyze their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A reliable painter will be happy to share a history of executing projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the job is complete. Find all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter near Nottingham, Maryland easily with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.