Find a Cabinet Painter in Pasadena, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Maryland // Pasadena
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited to the type of paint I can put on my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the kind of paint used for cabinets and if there is any difference between it and the paint used with walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint typically used for interior walls will face some challenges when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their design to give them their elegant appearance. Common wall paints will not adhere sufficiently to cabinets or begin chipping or flaking off prematurely. The kind of paint contractors use for cabinets has adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also needs extended time to dry and cure than those usually applied to walls.
Which qualities should I look for in a reliable cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painting contractors to uncover the most suitable one for your specifications and style requires a substantial amount of effort. The best place to focus on is by knowing precisely what style you want to accomplish with your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to see a sample of their previous work similar to your vision beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Trustworthy contractors will be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential customers to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a set budget in mind while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate widely. Ensure that any professional you consider provides documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. What you don't need is for unexpected surprises to occur after the project has started that will raise costs above what you planned for.
Pay close attention to the contractor's reputation by evaluating their online customer reviews. Most experienced painters will have comments and reviews from past customers for view online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and within budget.
Can I simply paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's may be enticing to immediately begin painting and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen first to ensure your cabinets look great and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the years to come. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming task when doing it on your own, but a professional will quickly and effectively bring your vision to reality starting with the most important prepping stage of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt or grease are completely removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made great strides, and there are products that contractors use to make one of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Liquid abrasives can also penetrate to those edges that are exceedingly challenging to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming will be mandatory in some cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, blocking stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you apply a latex paint without priming, it will only chip off and need to be repainted sooner than you'd like.
Will it be costly to paint kitchen cabinets ?
There are many factors that play into the cost of getting your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, such as the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. In Pasadena, MD, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's suggested to first obtain quotes from various contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, painters may bill you according to square footage or by the number of cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The painter will have to recoup the cost of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these usually vary by quality. Per-gallon rates for paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with a gallon usually being enough for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expense when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall cost depending on what season of the year or how soon you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout and your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Discover a Cabinet Painting Contractor Near Pasadena, MD Who Can Bring Your Ideas to Reality
An exceptional way to increase the value of your property and update the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a cost-efficient alternative to expensive replacements that also results in less messy and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to hide years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will suit your current tastes.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter around Pasadena, MD fluctuates, but some customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, factors like the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you pay in the end. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also perks for the planet when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and install new models. The manufacturing methods of wood and metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the air, and throwing out wood cabinets fills up landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in fair enough condition to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll be proud to own.
When looking for the best cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should look at their customer reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable painter will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and vision so you understand precisely what to expect when the job is finished. Discover all the information necessary to vet and pick a professional cabinet painter in Pasadena, MD confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.