Find Deck Staining in Sandy Spring, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Maryland // Sandy Spring
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the benefits of applying stain to my deck vs painting it?
Deck staining and painting offer unique advantages, so it's essential to consider which option most meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and improved surface preservation. However, paint also needs extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly dried, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, offering better defense against water, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice will be right for your needs.
Can staining my deck help protect it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck brings many benefits, such as enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the style of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a contractor to ensure excellent results. The climate in Sandy Spring, Maryland poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting pests and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and get more out of your investment by extending its lifespan.
What sort of time frame can I anticipate from professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a detailed process that needs careful preparation and application to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres well. Surfaces may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a consistent application of the stain. Anything immediately outside of the work area, including walkways and buildings, will also need to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional will help you pick the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to specific wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - Your contractor will understand the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's critical that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is fitting for the drying step.
Each of these steps are challenging and tedious, but performing them correctly is vital to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining professional found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while delivering your desired look and durability.
Does the climate play a role in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is better when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very hot and colder temperatures will affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as excessive moisture will prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Find a Deck Staining Professional Near Sandy Spring, Maryland on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its look and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can share regarding choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain won't offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers more versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it flakes away beneath constant foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been properly dried.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the process. Conducting the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to a pro who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Sandy Spring, Maryland and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.