Find a Cabinet Painter in Severn, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Can I use the same paint on my walls to refresh the look of my cabinets?
A frequently asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used with walls. There are differences because cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the variety of paint preferred for home walls will encounter many difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces because of the materials used in their design to give them that elegant aesthetic. Common wall paints might not adhere properly to cabinets and can begin to chip and flake off prematurely. The kind of paint professionals use for cabinets contains adhesives that helps it stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and structure of cabinet paint also necessitates longer time to dry and cure than those typically used on walls.
How do I determine if I've picked the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to uncover the best one for your specifications and vision requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by understanding exactly what aesthetic you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask contractors to view samples of their previous work matching your vision beforehand to get a sense of their experience and skill. Reliable contractors would be more than happy to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You need to have a set budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices sometimes fluctuate largely. Ensure that any contractor you hire provides documentation of all material and labor costs as well as clear verbal communication throughout the project about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to occur once the project begins that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Give attention to the contractor's dependability by evaluating any online customer reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from previous clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Is the challenging prep step necessary before painting my cabinets?
It's always enticing to immediately begin painting and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but an expert will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to reality starting with the most common prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that all dirt and grime are thoroughly cleaned from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning phase is also an appropriate time to disassemble the cabinets and its gear, including drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that innovations in home improvement have made notable strides, and there are products today which professionals use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also known as liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the dusty method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those places that would be exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the current paint is oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint without priming, it will only peel away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
How much will it cost to paint my used cabinets?
There are many things that affect the cost of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint is needed, and the rates of the contractor. Around Severn, MD, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first obtain quotes from various professionals listed on the Thumbtack platform to get an accurate estimate based on your needs and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors could charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Kind of Paint and Finish: Your contractor will need to recoup the cost of materials if you aren't providing them, and these typically vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints used in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from twenty to one hundred dollars or more for high-quality brands with one gallon typically being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your most significant expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your requested timeline could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the project finished.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your vision for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Update Your Kitchen for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter Near Severn, MD
An exceptional way to increase the value of your home and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messy and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, engineered wood, and metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and give them an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The cost of a professional cabinet painter near Severn, MD fluctuates, but many customers still report spending less than a third on their painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the difference in labor rates charged by contractors in your area, factors such as the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the scope of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should start by coming up with a budget and then ask around among several different painting contractors to uncover an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also benefits for the world when you opt to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and hang new ones. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets releases many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets might be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and hang with an updated look that you'll love.
When looking for the perfect cabinet painting contractor aligning with your budget and specifications, you should evaluate their customer reviews, portfolio of previous work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A dependable contractor will be willing to share their history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will discuss your cabinets and plan so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all important information necessary to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter in Severn, MD easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.