Find Deck Staining in Sharptown, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Will the climate ruin my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll get better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining a deck is better when the temperature is moderate, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as too much moisture can prolong drying times and increase the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature specifications on how long drying should take, and it's required that it stays dry during this time. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What steps must be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Detailed prep of your deck and the surrounding area must be performed to ensure a good finish. Vegetation will need to be pushed back, and nearby walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow adequate penetration and adhesion.
Picking the right stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects like:
- Species of Wood - Some wood species will gain more from particular stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid generally providing the most protection from water and sun damage. If your wood species is known for low strength, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can pick a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the appearance of your house and lawn.
Is there a big difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have unique advantages, so it's important to consider which option most fits your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider variety of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also needs more maintenance due to chipping and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain will not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to care for, and has more advantages, including:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering a deep layer of protection from moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the benefits of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for you and your home.
Is the expense of professional deck staining justified by any real benefits?
Staining a deck comes with several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a range of colors and opacities that can help re-energize the look of your house and yard. You're not as limited as you might think when choosing deck staining over painting, as you still have several options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of enlisting a professional who can guarantee excellent results. The weather in Sharptown, MD poses the biggest danger to your deck, and regardless how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Some other advantages of deck staining include keeping out pests and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Sharptown, MD on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its look and providing long-lasting durability against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives more versatility in colors and styles and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away beneath constant use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and carries pigments to block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. It also won't need to be reapplied for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining a deck requires a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by turning to a pro who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Sharptown, MD and choose the best one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.