Find a Cabinet Painter in Solomons, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Should I use the same paint on my walls to update the style of my cabinets?
An often asked question is about the type of paint used for cabinets and if there is a difference between it and the paint used on walls. There are distinctions because cabinets and walls are very distinct surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will face some difficulties when trying to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Many kitchen cabinets have slippery surfaces because of the materials used in their construction to give them that sleek appearance. Common wall paints will not adhere properly to cabinets and can start to chip and flake away prematurely. The type of paint contractors use for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slick surfaces better, and is also usually thicker to guarantee longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended time to dry and cure than those generally used on walls.
How do I know I've found the right cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the best one for your needs and vision takes a substantial amount of consideration. The first place to begin is by knowing exactly what look you're trying to accomplish for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to view a sample of their past work matching what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and skill. Dependable contractors will be pleased to grant this request, and many keep a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their website.
You need to have a defined budget worked out while shopping around for professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate significantly. Make sure that any contractor you consider provides documentation of all material and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the project about it's timeline. The last thing you need is for any surprises to occur once the project has started that can raise costs above what you budgeted for.
Give attention to the professional's reputation by checking their online client reviews. Most experienced painters will have feedback and reviews from past clients available online, and these can be a great way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you need on time and on budget.
Should I simply paint over my kitchen cabinets?
It's always enticing to quickly start dipping brushes into paint and get your home improvement project going, but there is some prep that needs to happen beforehand to ensure your cabinets look as envisioned and hold up to the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting can quickly become an overwhelming project when attempting it alone, but a professional can quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life beginning with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's crucial that all dirt and grime are fully cleaned from cabinet surfaces before painting or staining or it could hinder their adherence. The cleaning step is also a good time to take apart the cabinets and their gear, like drawers, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next stages easier and more efficient.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable advancements, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps a breeze. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical product that quickly strips gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the long method of sanding in the traditional way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers can also penetrate to those places that are exceedingly difficult to get to with traditional sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is necessary in some cases, as it serves many important purposes for the painting that follows, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from showing through, and providing an added layer of protection over the cabinet surface. If the previous paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only chip away and need to be repainted sooner than expected.
What factors are considered when it comes to establishing price of painting cabinets?
There are several factors that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what type of paint is needed, and the labor costs of the contractor. In Solomons, Maryland, you could pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a good cabinet painter, and it's recommended to first seek out quotes from several contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to get an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of your project, contractors may charge you according to square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Type of Paint and Finish: The contractor will need to recoup the price of paint and other equipment if you aren't providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized in cabinet painting range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for designer brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your largest expenditure when it comes to professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how fast you want the job completed.
You'll need to discuss your kitchen's unique cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to uncover an accurate estimate of price.
Choose a Cabinet Painter in Solomons, Maryland Who Will Bring Your Ideas to Reality
A quick way to boost the appeal of your home and refresh the look of your kitchen at the same time is by enlisting an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting is a more affordable choice over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and chaotic demolition and reconstruction. Many kinds of wood, manufactured wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to conceal years of wear and tear and deliver an updated look that will match your evolving style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter in Solomons, Maryland fluctuates, but some customers still report spending less than a third on a painting project versus full cabinet replacements. Other than the variation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects like the brand of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. Be sure to first come up with a budget and then ask around among several different painters to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your unique project will cost.
There are also advantages for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets instead of throw them out and hang new models. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and discarding wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for logging. Your present cabinets may be in fair enough shape to simply paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll love.
When hunting for the right cabinet painting professional aligning with your budget and needs, you should analyze their client reviews, gallery of past work, and inquire about pricing and schedule. A dependable contractor will be happy to share a history of delivering projects similar to yours to give you peace of mind, and will talk with you about your cabinets and vision so you understand exactly what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all important information you need to vet and choose a professional cabinet painter near Solomons, Maryland confidently with the powerful Thumbtack platform today.