Find Deck Staining in Stevensville, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Can the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot or colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and heighten the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that it stays dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What prep should be conducted before staining a deck?
Detailed prepping of the deck and the surrounding area needs to be performed to ensure a good result. Vegetation should be removed, and nearby pathways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be cleaned and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the right stain for your deck is an essential step of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors such as:
- Species of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck the best look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from clear to solid, with solid typically delivering the most defense from water and UV rays. If your wood species has low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the appearance of your house and lawn.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's essential to assess which option best fits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are its extensive selection of colors and enhanced surface protection. However, paint also demands extensive upkeep because of chipping and fading over time. On the other hand, stain does not peel if properly cured, needs less effort to maintain, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing better defense from moisture, UV rays, and other destructive threats.
- Special Additives - Many stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice is right for your needs.
Can staining my deck help shield it from climate-related damage?
Staining a deck provides many advantages, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains are sold in a variety of colors and opacities that will help re-energize the look of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you might think by picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor to ensure excellent results. The climate in Stevensville, MD is the biggest threat to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Stevensville, MD on Thumbtack and Obtain the Look and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its appearance and delivering unmatched durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to safeguard the wood from water, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the species of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you achieve the desired look. Although stain won't offer as many style options as paint, many colors and opacities are still sold to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique advantages. Painting has more variety of colors and styles and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments to block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and careful consideration for every step of the process. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting an expert who can deliver excellent results. Compare staining contractors in Stevensville, MD and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.