Find Deck Staining in Temple Hills, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the primary determinants of the cost for expert deck staining?
Several factors can influence the cost of expert deck staining services, but square footage and the current condition of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors will give an estimate based on the size of the deck, but the price can increase if extensive prep or repairs need to be completed before stain is applied.
The kind of stain you select for your deck will be calculated into the final price, and premium options with better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Also remember that how hard your deck is to reach or maneuver around will result in higher labor costs from a professional service. Any extra services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or adding multiple coats of stain, can also increase the overall cost.
When looking for professional deck staining contractors, it's important to get multiple estimates, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor gives clear communication about the timeline for your project. Residents of Temple Hills, Maryland can find all the necessary information to make informed decisions and hire the best contractor for the job at Thumbtack.
What sort of time frame should I expect from professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres well. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to facilitate a smooth application during the following step. The environment surrounding the work area, including walkways and structures, will also need to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you pick the right kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for particular wood species and the aesthetic you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are required for good penetration and coverage.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable for the curing step.
Each of these steps can be challenging and time-consuming, but performing them correctly is critical to ensure a high-quality result. A reliable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to complete the job quickly while achieving your desired look and durability.
Will the climate impact my deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll get the best results when conducting it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains will have directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling needs to take into consideration the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What prep is required before staining a deck?
Careful prepping of your deck and the surrounding environment needs to be carried out to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be cut, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of your deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from certain stains that will provide your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opacity of stains for decks varies from transparent to solid, with solid usually delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species has minimal strength, consider a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opacity to accentuate or stand out from the style of your home and yard.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Temple Hills, Maryland on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and delivering long-lasting protection from weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from preparation to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the tedious process. Working with stains requires a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it cures correctly to safeguard the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is constructed with to ensure you get the desired look. While stain doesn’t offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their deck, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting offers better variety of colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times throughout the years as it peels away under frequent use and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain penetrates deep into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for a few years if adequately cured.
Staining your deck calls for attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the project. Performing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an uneven look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can deliver stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Temple Hills, Maryland and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.