Find a Cabinet Painter in Westminster, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Cabinet Painting Professionals nearCabinet Painters // Maryland // Westminster
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT CABINET PAINTING
Will I be limited by the kind of paint I can use for my cabinets?
A commonly asked question is about the kind of paint used on cabinets and if there is any difference between it and that used for walls. There are differences due to the fact that cabinets and walls are very different surfaces, and the kind of paint preferred for home walls will encounter some difficulties when attempting to apply them to kitchen cabinets.
Most kitchen cabinets have slick surfaces due to the materials used in their construction to give them that sophisticated aesthetic. Typical wall paints might not stick adequately to cabinets or begin to chip and flake away prematurely. The kind of paint contractors choose for cabinets contains adhesives that allows it to stick to these slippery surfaces better, and is also generally thicker to ensure longer durability. The chemicals and composition of cabinet paint also necessitates extended drying and curing times than those generally applied to walls.
How do I find a cabinet painter?
Vetting cabinet painters to find the perfect one for your needs and vision requires a substantial amount of work. A good place to start is by knowing precisely what aesthetic you're trying to achieve for your kitchen cabinets. You should ask candidates to see samples of their prior work similar to what you're looking for beforehand to get a feel for their experience and ability. Dependable contractors would be pleased to accommodate this request, and many retain a gallery of pictures for potential clients to browse through on their in-person or online.
You should have a defined budget in mind when choosing professional cabinet painting contractors, as prices often fluctuate widely. Check that any contractor you consider gives documentation of all equipment and labor expenses as well as clear verbal communication during the process about it's timeline. What you don't want is for unexpected surprises to pop up after the project begins that will raise costs higher than you budgeted for.
Pay close attention to the professional's dependability by assessing any online client reviews. Most professional painters will have comments and reviews from past clients available online, and these are also an efficient way to find out if they have a history of delivering the services you expect on time and on budget.
Can I simply paint over my existing cabinets?
It's always tempting to quickly begin dipping brushes into paint and get your kitchen remodeling project going, but there is some prep that needs to be done first to ensure your cabinets look great and are protected from the heavy-use they will likely see in the future. Cabinet painting will quickly turn into an overwhelming task when doing it alone, but a professional will quickly and efficiently bring your vision to life starting with the most important prepping steps of cleaning, sanding, and priming:
- Cleaning: It's critical that any dirt and grease are fully removed from cabinet surfaces prior to painting or staining or it could affect their adherence. The cleaning stage is also the right time to disassemble the cabinets and their components, such as doors, knobs, hinges, etc., to make the next steps easier and more effective.
- Sanding: The good news is that efficiencies in home improvement have made notable leaps, and there are products today which contractors use to make some of these prepping steps easier. Deglossers, also called liquid sandpaper, is a chemical abrasive that easily removes gloss from cabinet surfaces so that the messy method of sanding in the old way is virtually obsolete. Deglossers will also reach those nooks and crannies that would be exceedingly challenging to get to with regular sandpaper.
- Priming: Priming is mandatory in many cases, and it serves many important purposes for the painting that comes next, such as facilitating better adhesion, preventing stains and imperfections from bleeding through, and providing a protective layer over the cabinet surface. If the existing paint was oil-based and you cover it with a latex paint before priming, it will only peel away and require repainting sooner than expected.
What things are considered when it comes to establishing price of painting cabinets?
There are many things that affect the price of having your kitchen cabinets professionally painted, including the size and layout of your kitchen, the number of cabinets, what kind of paint will be used, and the rates of the contractor. Around Westminster, MD, you will pay anywhere from a couple hundred to a couple thousand dollars for a professional cabinet painter, so it's suggested to first obtain quotes from multiple contractors listed on the Thumbtack site to gain an accurate estimate based on your requirements and vision.
- Kitchen Layout or Number of Cabinets: Depending on the layout of your kitchen cabinets and the scope of the requested services, contractors may charge you based on square footage or by individual cabinet doors and drawers.
- Variety of Paint and Finish: The contractor must recoup the price of paint and other equipment unless you're providing them, and these generally vary by quality. Per-gallon price of paints utilized in cabinet refinishing range anywhere from $20 to $100 or more for high-quality brands with one gallon usually being plenty for most kitchens.
- Labor: Labor will be your biggest expenditure when paying for professional cabinet painting, but your schedule could also raise or lower the overall price depending on what time of the year or how soon you want the job performed.
You'll want to discuss your kitchen's particular cabinets and layout as well as your ideas for them with more than one professional to find the best price.
Refresh Your Home for Less With a Dependable Cabinet Painter Near Westminster, MD
A quick way to boost the value of your house and refresh the appearance of your kitchen simultaneously is by hiring an experienced cabinet painter. Cabinet painting can be a more affordable option over expensive replacements that also requires less messes and disruptive demolition and reconstruction. Most types of wood, engineered wood, or even metal cabinets can be painted to eliminate years of wear and tear and give them a new look that will suit your current style preferences.
The price of a professional cabinet painter around Westminster, MD varies, but some customers have reported spending less than a third on a painting project than on full cabinet replacements. Besides the fluctuation in labor rates of different contractors in your area, aspects such as the kind of paint chosen, the layout of your kitchen and cabinets, and the size of the project will dictate how much you ultimately pay. You should first come up with a budget and then ask around among a number of different painting contractors to figure out an accurate estimate of how much your one-of-a-kind project will cost.
There are also perks for the world when you choose to let a professional paint your cabinets rather than throw them out and install new ones. The manufacturing process of wood or metal cabinets expels many toxic chemicals into the environment, and throwing out wood cabinets adds to landfills and heightens demand for new materials. Your present cabinets could be in decent enough shape to easily paint, refinish, and reinstall with a fresh new look that you'll be proud to own.
While searching for the perfect cabinet painting professional matching your budget and needs, you should evaluate their client reviews, portfolio of past work, and ask questions about pricing and timeline. A reliable contractor will be willing to show you a history of delivering projects similar to yours to put you at ease, and will talk with you about your cabinets and plan so you know precisely what to expect when the project is finished. Discover all important information needed to vet and hire a professional cabinet painter near Westminster, MD easily with the convenient Thumbtack platform today.