Find a pro in Williamsport, Maryland
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS
How long does it take to replace a roof?
The timeframe for a roof replacement is dependent on the size of your roof, but there are also a lot of other things to think about. The average residential roof is approximately 3,000 sq. feet, so generally speaking, a roofing contractor can finish a roof replacement within a day’s time.
Another thing you should take into consideration is the weather forecast in your area. Poor weather will put a stop to work and this is going to push out the timeline. If a storm is expected to take place during your scheduled project, you should anticipate your roof taking three to five days to get done.
The layout of your roof is an important factor that you should take into account. Its pitch, the number of joints, valleys, and hips will need to be accounted for when your roofing contractor is giving an estimate for the job. A complex roof will require a longer timeline and your roof replacement professional can estimate the hours for the project.
Which roof style is the most affordable?
The most affordable style of roof is going to be asphalt shingles, and just because they are the lower-cost product, it doesn’t mean they should be disregarded. In actuality, you’ll see most residential properties in your area with asphalt shingles on their roofs because they are reliable and serve the purpose of protecting your property in addition to being the affordable option. Also, they’re versatile and they’ll look good on any home.
However, asphalt shingles do require some attention more often than the more expensive options. They usually have a warranty of 15-20 years. But there is the option to buy higher-end asphalt shingles that do last longer.
When should I replace my roof?
You should think about replacing your roof when repairs just don’t do the job anymore. A roof replacement is needed if you’re putting up with these types of issues:
- AGE: The older your roof is, the likelihood of having it be replaced is greater. Asphalt shingles are very common on residential properties and these usually have a 15-20 year lifespan. If your roof has aged this much, it’s a wise choice to get consistent inspections so you can figure out when a roof replacement is needed.
- SAGGING: If your roof is drooping, it's a sign that the deck plywood is damaged. Sagging is not a good sign, and this usually means you need a roof replacement.
- WORN OUT MATERIALS: Your roof is a defensive barrier for the rest of your property, so there should be no surprise that the materials used for your roof will deteriorate over time.
How much is a roof?
It’s difficult to know exactly how much a new roof is going to come out to because there are several things that will influence the total cost. Typically, replacing your roof is in the ballpark of $4 to $40 per square foot, which consists of labor and the products being used. The cost of your new roof will be calculated by the products you want installed, and you can expect that 60% of your cost will be for labor.
Estimating the size of your roof can also be difficult if you have a more complex roof because you’ll have to account for various angles. This is where a roofing specialist can be of assistance. They’ll be able to determine the square footage of your roof and give you a better estimate on the cost of your roof replacement.
Roofing Repair & Roofing Replacement Companies in Williamsport, MD
Thumbtack is the all-in-one home management site that helps you find roofing maintenance professionals in Williamsport, MD. See what experiences other people have had, communicate directly with the roofing maintenance contractor you’re interested in, schedule a service appointment, and pay all from one convenient app.
Our site also puts together a wealth of information to help you before you start browsing through our database of vetted roofing contractors.
Are you looking for roofing maintenance services? With the exception of having leaks or other obvious concerns, there are a few things that might determine whether a roof repair is a wise choice.
- The Age of Your Roof: Approximately 20-25 years is how long a standard roof lasts. If you know your roof is older than that, it might be time to call a roofer to come take a look at it.
- Sagging Roof Decks: Get immediate repairs if you realize your roof deck is sagging because it can lead to serious issues. Professional roofing repairs will remediate the problem and prevent the need for a replacement.
- Granule Buildup in Gutters: If you find an accumulation of granules from your shingles in your gutters, it means that your shingles are deteriorating. A roofing repair contractor will keep your gutters clean and functioning properly.
- The Chimney Flashing: When the flashing around your chimney is roof cement you may want a water-tight fitting such as a metal flashing system.
- Missing or damaged shingles: If you see shingles that are cracked, in pieces, or completely missing, this can be an indicator that your roof needs to be looked at. Roofing maintenance services will identify deteriorated shingles and provide top-notch repairs to prevent leaks from doing more damage.
Hire someone who can make your roofing maintenance an easy and satisfactory process. Once you’ve found the right fit, it’s just a matter of getting your estimate and setting up an appointment to get your roofing maintenance started.