Find Deck Staining in Ashland, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
Top 10 Deck Staining Professionals nearDeck Staining // Maine // Ashland
We couldn't find any matches for this location.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Would painting my deck be a better option than staining it?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's important to consider which option most suits your needs when deciding between them. The two most significant benefits of painting are the wider selection of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading relatively fast. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, needs less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing a deep layer of defense against moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the contractors listed on Thumbtack to determine which choice is best for you and your home.
Is the expense of professional deck staining justified by any real benefits?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, such as enhancing its style, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Similar to paint, stains are available in a range of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your home and yard. You're not as limited as you might suppose by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several choices to accentuate your home or produce a look that stands apart.
The protection that stain offers your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to deliver excellent results. The weather in Ashland, ME poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how strong the type of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Some other benefits of deck staining include keeping out bugs and mold from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get more from your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What steps are followed with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that needs careful preparation and application to achieve the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to ensure the stain adheres properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a smooth application of the stain. Anything around the work area, like pathways and buildings, will also need to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A professional can help you select the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these devices to apply as many coats as are needed for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - A contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it will take to dry. It's crucial that the deck is not touched and that the weather is suitable for the drying step.
All of these steps can be challenging and time-consuming, but attention to detail is vital to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining professional listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to complete the job fast while achieving the desired appearance and durability.
Is there a particular season that's better for deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal project and you'll achieve better results when executing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Staining any deck is better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity can prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature directions on how long drying should take, and it's essential that they remain dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and ideally be finished 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Ashland, ME on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is great for revitalizing its appearance and providing long-lasting durability from weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly recommended if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer regarding selecting the right stain for the type of wood your deck is made with to ensure you get the desired aesthetic. Although stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your property.
Many homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting offers more versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away under frequent use and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from mildew and insect damage. Stain will also not need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining any deck calls for attention to detail and thoughtful consideration for every step of the project. Performing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing everything yourself by enlisting an expert who can deliver excellent results. Evaluate staining contractors in Ashland, ME and choose the best one matching your needs and budget all in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.