Find Deck Staining in Bangor, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What are the primary factors of the cost for professional deck staining?
Several factors can affect the cost of professional deck staining services, but square footage and the current state of the deck will have the most significant impact. Contractors should provide an estimate based on the size of the deck, but that price may increase if extensive prep or repairs need to be conducted before stain is applied.
The type of stain you choose for your deck will be included in the final price, and high-end options with better UV protection and water resistance will be more expensive. Keep in mind that how difficult your deck is to access or work around might lead to higher labor costs from your contractor. Any additional services requested, such as sealing, waterproofing, or applying multiple layers of stain, can also raise your final costs.
When assessing professional deck staining services, it's important to obtain multiple quotes, carefully review the services' details, and ensure the contractor provides clear communication about scheduling. Residents of Bangor, Maine can find all the necessary information to make informed decisions and hire the best contractor for deck staining on Thumbtack.
How long should it take a professional to stain my deck according to my vision?
Staining a deck is a detailed project that requires careful preparation and execution to get the best outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks properly. The surface should be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a consistent application of the stain. Anything surrounding the work area, including walkways and buildings, will have to be blanketed with tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you select the best kind of stain and opacity for your needs, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the style you're trying to achieve. The contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or all of these tools to apply as many coats as are required for adequate penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - A contractor will understand the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it takes to cure. It's essential that the deck is not touched and that the weather is fitting throughout the drying process.
All of these steps are complex and tedious, but proper execution is critical to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will have the experience and skill to complete the job fast while achieving your desired appearance and durability.
What is the optimal weather for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to any deck is better when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot or cold temperatures can affect the application and drying process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive moisture can prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature specifications on how long drying will take, and it's essential that they remain dry throughout this time. Your project's scheduling should take into consideration the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
What prep will a professional undertake before diving into deck staining?
Careful preparation of your deck and the surrounding spaces needs to be carried out to guarantee a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be removed, and nearby walkways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on your deck may need to be washed or sanded to facilitate adequate penetration and adhesion.
Selecting the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will gain more from particular stains that will give your deck a better aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid typically delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If your wood species has low durability, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term conservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the aesthetic of your house and yard.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Bangor, Maine on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for refreshing its appearance and delivering long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will destroy it over time. A proven contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and drying, to ensure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a consistent application and that it dries appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the type of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your property.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options come with unique benefits. Painting has more versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it flakes away under steady foot traffic and changing weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deep into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from mildew and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining any deck demands attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the project. Executing the task at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to a professional who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Bangor, Maine and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack app.