Find Deck Staining in Blue Hill, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What part of the year is recommended for carrying out a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific project and you'll achieve better results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best while the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very warm or colder temperatures can affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive humidity can extend drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long curing will take, and it's required that it stays dry during this period. Your project's scheduling must consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
What preparations are needed prior to staining a deck?
Detailed prep of the deck and the surrounding environment needs to be carried out to guarantee a good finish. Obstructing grass and plants should be cut, and any walkways or other structures should be covered with a tarp to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood of the deck may need to be washed or sanded to allow adequate penetration and sticking.
Selecting the best stain for any deck is a part of the preparation and requires careful consideration, including aspects such as:
- Type of Wood - Some wood species will benefit more from particular stains that will provide your deck the best aesthetic and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks varies from clear to solid, with solid typically providing the most protection from water and UV rays. If your wood species has minimal strength, you may want a solid or semi-solid stain for long-term preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can choose a stain based on its color and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the style of your home and grounds.
Would painting my deck be a smarter choice than staining it?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's essential to assess which option best meets your needs when deciding between the two. The two most significant advantages of painting are the wider selection of colors and improved surface protection. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance due to chipping and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, requires less effort to maintain, and has other advantages, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only coats the surface, stains soak into the wood, delivering better protection from moisture, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains have additives that increase durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that resist mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the benefits of deck staining or painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for you and your home.
Is the price of professional deck staining justified by any tangible benefits?
Staining a deck offers many advantages, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains are available in a variety of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself when picking deck staining over painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional to ensure excellent results. The weather in Blue Hill, ME poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the kind of wood it's made with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover a professional listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and get the most out of your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Professional in Blue Hill, ME on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its appearance and providing long-lasting protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A dependable contractor can handle every step, from prep to application and curing, to guarantee it comes out the way you expected.
Hiring a professional is highly recommended if you lack experience carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to secure the wood from water, sun, and insects. You will also benefit from the advice that professionals can offer when it comes to choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. While stain doesn’t offer as much variety as paint, many colors and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of people wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting gives better variety of colors and aesthetics and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away under steady use and fluctuating weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and contains pigments to block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from rot and insect damage. It will also not need reapplication for two to three years if properly cured.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration at every step of the project. Conducting the job at the wrong time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by turning to an expert who can promise stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Blue Hill, ME and choose the right one matching your needs and budget easily in one place on the powerful Thumbtack platform.