Find Deck Staining in Burlington, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
What is the best weather for staining a deck?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance task and you'll get the best results when performing it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works better while the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining during very hot and cold temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferable while deck staining, as excessive moisture can extend drying times and raise the danger of mildew problems in the future.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling should consider the rain forecast and ideally be completed 24 to 48 hours before any possible showers.
What steps should be taken before initiating the deck staining process?
Careful preparation of the deck and the surrounding area must be conducted to ensure a good result. Obstructing grass and plants will need to be pushed back, and any pathways or other structures should be blanketed to eliminate coming into contact with the stain. The wood on the deck might need to be washed and sanded to allow good penetration and sticking.
Choosing the best stain for your deck is a part of the preparation and requires some consideration, including factors like:
- Type of Wood - Some types of wood will benefit more from certain stains that will offer your deck a better look and durability.
- The opacity of the Stain - The opaqueness of stains for decks ranges from translucent to solid, with solid generally delivering the most defense from water and sun damage. If the wood used on your deck has low durability, you might want a solid or semi-solid stain for enhanced preservation.
- Coordination With Your Home - You can select a stain based on its hue and opaqueness to complement or stand out from the look of your home and grounds.
Should I stain or paint my deck?
Deck staining and painting have their own advantages, so it's important to analyze which option best meets your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest advantages of painting are the wider selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also needs more upkeep because of chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to care for, and has more advantages, such as:
- Soaks Into the Wood - Unlike paint, which only covers the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that enhance durability, primarily pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Discuss the pros and cons of deck staining and painting with the professionals listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be best for your needs.
Is staining my deck worth the price if I hire a professional?
Staining a deck comes with several benefits, including enhancing its appearance, extending its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of colors and opacities that can help reinvigorate the look of your home and grounds. You're not limiting yourself by picking deck staining over painting, as you still have several choices to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The protection that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of hiring a professional to ensure excellent results. The climate in Burlington, Maine poses the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the species of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will help keep out water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting bugs and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Discover an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor Near Burlington, Maine on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Envisioned
Deck staining is the perfect project for revitalizing its look and delivering long-lasting protection against the climate and pests that will degrade it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the difficult task for you, from prep to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to secure the wood from moisture, sun, and insects. You can also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can share regarding selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you get the desired look. Although stain cannot offer as much variety as paint, a lot of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners wrestle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting has better versatility in colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it peels away beneath heavy use and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deep into the wood and contains pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that protect it from mold and insect damage. Stain also won't need reapplication for a few years if properly dried.
Staining your deck calls for a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration at every step of the project. Executing the task at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the stress of doing it all yourself by enlisting a pro who can guarantee stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Burlington, Maine and choose the best one suiting your vision and budget all in one place with the convenient Thumbtack platform.