Find Deck Staining in Cushing, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a big variance in benefits between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have different advantages, so it's important to assess which option most meets your requirements when deciding between them. The two most significant advantages of painting are its wider selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also demands more upkeep because of chipping and fading over time. Conversely, stain does not peel once properly cured, needs minimal effort to maintain, and has more advantages, including:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which only sits on the surface, stains penetrate the wood, providing a deep layer of protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains contain additives that increase durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against rot, and insecticides that stop bugs from infesting the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option will be right for you and your home.
Why do I hear so many homeowners say deck staining is a wise investment?
Staining a deck provides many benefits, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a variety of hues and opacities that will help re-energize the aesthetic of your house and grounds. You're not as limited as you may suppose when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many options to accentuate your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain provides your deck will be well worth the price of enlisting a contractor who can deliver excellent results. The weather in Cushing, ME is the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the species of wood it's constructed with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other benefits of deck staining include inhibiting insects and mold from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Hire an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
How much time can I expect a contractor to take to finish deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious process that needs careful preparation and application to obtain the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface must be scrubbed of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain sticks well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to provide a smooth application during the following step. Anything immediately outside of the work area, like pathways and structures, will have to be blanketed by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you pick the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the look you want to achieve. Your contractor then utilizes brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for good penetration and adhesion.
- Cure Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's recommendations for the kind of stain you've selected and how long it will take to dry. It's critical that the deck is not used and that the weather is acceptable for the drying step.
All of these steps are complex and time-consuming, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A dependable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will bring the knowledge and skill to finish the job quickly while achieving the desired look and durability.
Can the climate play a role in the outcome of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck is best when the temperature is fair, particularly between 50°F and 90°F. Staining beneath very warm and colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferable when deck staining, as too much humidity will prolong drying times and raise the risk of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains feature specifications on how long drying should take, and it's essential that it remains dry throughout this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be completed 24 to 48 hours prior to any potential showers.
Hire a Deck Staining Contractor Near Cushing, ME on Thumbtack and Get the Aesthetic and Protection You Envisioned
Deck staining is great for updating its look and providing unmatched protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle every step, from preparation to application and drying, to guarantee it comes out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or the time to devote to the project. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures correctly to protect the wood from moisture, sun, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that experts can offer when it comes to selecting the right stain for the species of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, a lot of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many homeowners wrestle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique benefits. Painting gives better variety of colors and aesthetics and is great for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint many times over the years as it chips away beneath heavy foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain penetrates deeper into the wood and has pigments that block harmful UV rays and other additives that secure it from mold and insect damage. Stain also doesn't need reapplication for a few years so long as it's been adequately cured.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and careful consideration through every step of the process. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it incorrectly will result in less protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by enlisting a pro who can deliver stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Cushing, ME and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget all in one place with the powerful Thumbtack app.