Find Deck Staining in Ellsworth, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a big difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting offer unique benefits, so it's important to analyze which option best meets your needs when deciding between them. The two biggest benefits of painting are the wider selection of colors and enhanced surface preservation. However, paint also demands extensive maintenance because of flaking and fading relatively soon. Conversely, stain does not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to care for, and has other benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which simply coats the surface, stains penetrate the wood, delivering a deep layer of defense against water, the sun, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Some stains are mixed with additives that boost durability, specifically pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that stop bugs from eating the wood.
Talk about the advantages of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to decide which choice will be right for you and your home.
Can staining my deck help protect it from weather-related damage?
Staining a deck brings several advantages, including enhancing its appearance, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. Though not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of colors and opacities that will help reinvigorate the aesthetic of your home and grounds. You're not as limited as you might suppose when picking deck staining instead of painting, as you still have several options to complement your home or produce a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain gives your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a professional to guarantee excellent results. The climate in Ellsworth, ME poses the biggest danger to your deck, and no matter how strong the kind of wood it's constructed with, a good coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will degrade it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and low maintenance. Find an expert listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck correctly and maximize your investment by prolonging its lifespan.
What steps are followed with professional deck staining?
Staining a deck is a multistage project that requires careful preparation and application to obtain the desired outcome:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be cleaned of dirt and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres well. The surface may also need to be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a smooth application during the following step. The environment surrounding the work area, including walkways and buildings, will also need to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor will help you choose the right kind of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited to particular wood species and the look you're trying to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to apply as many coats as are needed for good penetration and coverage.
- Drying Time - The contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the kind of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's critical that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable throughout the drying process.
All of these steps can be challenging and tedious, but performing them correctly is necessary to ensure the best result. A vetted deck staining contractor found on Thumbtack will bring the experience and skill to finish the job fast while delivering your desired look and durability.
What time of the year is suggested for carrying out a deck staining project?
Deck staining is a season-specific home maintenance job and you'll achieve better results when conducting it in suitable weather conditions:
- Temperature - Applying stain to your deck works best when the temperature is fair, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and colder temperatures will affect the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Lower humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive humidity will prolong drying times and increase the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - All stains feature specifications on how long drying will take, and it's required that it remains dry during this time. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any chance of showers.
Find a Deck Staining Contractor Near Ellsworth, ME on Thumbtack and Obtain the Style and Protection You Desire
Deck staining is the perfect project for updating its look and delivering unmatched protection against weather and pests that will degrade it over time. A proven contractor will handle the difficult task for you, from preparation to application and drying, to ensure it turns out the way you envisioned.
Enlisting a professional is highly advised if you lack familiarity carrying out deck staining or don’t have time to devote to the project. Working with stains requires careful attention to detail to ensure an even application and that it cures appropriately to protect the wood from moisture, UV rays, and insects. You will also benefit from the knowledge that contractors can offer regarding choosing the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is made with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain cannot offer as many style options as paint, plenty of colors and opacities are still available to help your deck stand out as a unique visual element of your home.
Many people struggle with choosing to paint or stain their deck, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting has better variety of colors and styles and is good for protecting surfaces. The downside is that you’ll need to repaint several times throughout the years as it chips away under constant foot traffic and changing weather conditions. Conversely, stain soaks deeper into the wood and carries pigments that block destructive UV rays and other additives that secure it from rot and insect damage. Stain will also not need to be reapplied for a few years if properly dried.
Staining your deck demands a practiced hand and thoughtful consideration through every step of the project. Executing the job at the wrong time of year or applying it haphazardly will result in insufficient protection and an inconsistent look. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing it all yourself by hiring an expert who can ensure stellar results. Compare staining contractors in Ellsworth, ME and choose the right one suiting your vision and budget easily in one place with the powerful Thumbtack platform.