Find Deck Staining in Freeport, Maine
Give us a few details and we’ll match you with the right pro.
COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS ABOUT DECK STAINING
Is there a big difference in advantages between deck staining and painting?
Deck staining and painting have their own benefits, so it's essential to assess which option best fits your requirements when deciding between the two. The two biggest benefits of painting are the wider variety of colors and improved surface shielding. However, paint also requires extensive maintenance because of flaking and fading over time. On the other hand, stain will not peel if properly dried, requires less effort to maintain, and has more benefits, such as:
- Penetrates the Wood - Unlike paint, which merely covers the surface, stains soak into the wood, providing a deep layer of protection from moisture, UV rays, and other elements.
- Special Additives - Many stains are mixed with additives that enhance durability, including pigments that block UV rays, chemicals that seal against mold and mildew, and insecticides that discourage bugs from eating the wood.
Discuss the advantages of deck staining and painting with the experts listed on Thumbtack to determine which option is right for you and your home.
Is staining a deck worth the cost if I hire a contractor?
Staining a deck brings many advantages, such as enhancing its look, prolonging its lifespan, and increasing its structural integrity. While not to the extent of paint, stains come in a range of hues and opacities that can help re-energize the style of your home and yard. You're not limiting yourself by choosing deck staining instead of painting, as you still have many choices to complement your home or create a look that stands out on its own.
The security that stain offers your deck will be well worth the cost of hiring a contractor to ensure excellent results. The climate in Freeport, Maine is the biggest threat to your deck, and regardless how durable the kind of wood it's made with, a proper coat of stain will safeguard it from water and UV rays that will destroy it over time. Examples of other advantages of deck staining include stopping pests and mildew from destroying the wood and easy maintenance. Discover a contractor listed on Thumbtack to stain your deck the right way and maximize your investment by extending its lifespan.
How long can I anticipate a contractor to take to finish deck staining?
Staining a deck is a tedious project that requires careful preparation and execution to obtain the best results:
- Prep - The deck surface has to be scrubbed of dust and debris with wood cleaners or a power washer to make sure the stain adheres well. Surfaces should be sanded or repaired from any damage to enable a smooth application during the following step. The environment around the work area, including walkways and buildings, will also need to be covered by laying down tarps or masking tape.
- Application of Stain - A contractor can help you choose the right type of stain and opacity for your deck, as some are more suited for specific wood species and the style you want to achieve. Your contractor will use brushes, rollers, sprayers, or a combination of these tools to put on as many coats as are needed for adequate penetration and adhesion.
- Drying Time - Your contractor will follow the manufacturer's ratings for the type of stain you've chosen and how long it takes to dry. It's important that the deck receives no foot traffic and that the weather is acceptable throughout the drying step.
All of these steps are challenging and tedious, but proper execution is vital to ensure the best result. A reliable deck staining contractor listed on Thumbtack will have the knowledge and skill to complete the job quickly while delivering the desired appearance and durability.
Does the weather play a role in the timing of deck staining?
Deck staining is a seasonal home maintenance job and you'll get the best results when executing it when the weather is right:
- Temperature - Staining your deck works best when the temperature is moderate, typically between 50°F and 90°F. Staining under very warm and colder temperatures can negatively impact the application and curing process.
- Humidity - Low to moderate humidity levels are preferred when deck staining, as excessive moisture can prolong drying times and raise the danger of mildew issues.
- Rain Forecast - Different stains come with directions on how long drying will take, and it's required that it remains dry during this period. Your project's scheduling needs to consider the rain forecast and preferably be finished 24 to 48 hours before any potential showers.
Discover a Deck Staining Contractor in Freeport, Maine on Thumbtack and Get the Style and Durability You Desire
Deck staining is worthwhile for updating its appearance and delivering unmatched durability against the climate and pests that will destroy it over time. A reliable contractor can handle the challenging task for you, from prep to application and drying, to make sure it comes out the way you envisioned.
Hiring a contractor is highly advised if you lack familiarity performing deck staining or don’t have time to dedicate to the tedious process. Working with stains demands a lot of attention to detail to ensure a smooth application and that it dries correctly to protect the wood from water, UV rays, and pests. You will also benefit from the knowledge that professionals can offer when it comes to picking the right stain for the kind of wood your deck is built with to ensure you achieve the desired aesthetic. Although stain won't offer as much variety as paint, plenty of hues and opacities are still available to help your deck transform into a unique visual element of your home.
A lot of homeowners struggle with deciding to paint or stain their decks, and both options have their unique advantages. Painting provides more variety of colors and looks and is great for surface protection. The downside is that you’ll have to repaint several times over the years as it peels away under constant foot traffic and fluctuating weather conditions. On the other hand, stain soaks deeper into the wood and has pigments that block destructive UV rays and other chemicals that protect it from rot and insect damage. It also won't need reapplication for two to three years so long as it's been adequately dried.
Staining your deck requires attention to detail and careful consideration through every step of the project. Conducting the job at an unseasonable time of year or applying it haphazardly will lead to insufficient protection and an inconsistent appearance. Save time and eliminate the headaches of doing everything yourself by enlisting an expert who can guarantee stellar results. Evaluate staining contractors in Freeport, Maine and choose the right one suiting your needs and budget easily in one place on the convenient Thumbtack platform.